The East European Bioinformatics and Computational Medicine School 2022 (EBCM2022) will take place from September 21 to October 14. The EBCM2022 School will offer a series of lectures and workshops, covering various aspects of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, focusing on state-of-the-art bioinformatics tools and algorithms for rigorous, and reproducible biomedical data analysis. The school is addressed to students and researchers in the early stages of their careers. The topics covered during this edition will include:
- Analysis of SARS-CoV-2 Sequencing Data and methods for phylogenetic analysis and viral evolution
- Human Genome Diversity in Population and Evolutionary Context
- Bioinformatics as a career option: How to get started
- Translational Bioinformatics: application in medicine and public health
- Algorithms for genome analysis. State of the art algorithms used in genome sequence analysis
Our mission is to train future bioinformatics experts and create an Eastern European bioinformatics hub to develop and promote bioinformatics knowledge and skills in the field of computational medicine and biomedical data science.
The objective of this course is to train students in the state of the art tools and methods for reproducible, rigorous, and reproducible biomedical data analysis, including methods to visualize display data and perform appropriate statistical analysis. Students are expected to learn how to:
- Analyze the large-scale biomedical data using commonly used interactive python-based libraries and packages.
- Use various visualizations techniques to display real-world biomedical data in real-time.
- Select the most appropriate statistical methods and apply it to real word biomedical data.
- Use version control and public repositories for transparent and reproducible data analysis.
- Write the data analysis component of a scientific manuscript and create an easy-to-navigate publicly shared repository with code and analysis accompanying the scientific manuscript.
- Prepare the “Code availability” and “Data availability” statements to make materials, data, code, and associated protocols promptly available to readers as now required by a large number of scientific journals (e.g. Nature journals).
- Run bioinformatics tools on the High Performance Clusters with use of Unix based pipelines.
- Understand the advantages and weaknesses, and application of major sequencing technologies and existing bioinformatics tools.
- Be able to participate in real world scientific projects by making contributions with data analysis and interpretation.
EBCM2022 is an initiative of the Bioinformatics Laboratory of Technical University of Moldova (Chișinău, Moldova) and the Mangul Lab at the University of Southern California School of Pharmacy (Los Angeles, California, USA), supported by BioTech Association from Moldova, USAID, and Sweden.